Sunday, June 5, 2011

Training update

Last week I said I wasn't going to run till fall. Then I felt pretty good so I ran 3 miles yesterday. Meant to take a picture, as inspired by Carrie, but forgot. Since it was 93 degrees when I ran with 20+ mph winds and I ran on the trail I was a sight. Plus, I had already been to a core express class at the Y and worked out with Freddrick and he managed squeeze in an extra set of three exercises, so I was a mess. I know I was, because Freddrick told me so. We were working out on the TRX and Caleb, one of the other trainers and it appears close friend of Freddrick's was utilizing the TRX as well. They were telling us how women hate to sweat and men find women sweating in the gym sexy, because it means they were working hard. At that point, when I wiped the sweat off my face and my hands were so wet I couldn't grip the weights but I couldn't find a dry spot on my shirt or capris to wipe them on, I figured I was the sexiest woman in the gym.

Anyway, the run was great. Mulberries squishing under my feet. Gnats and other assorted bugs sticking to my sweaty body. Scaring squirrels. Sweat running down my face. Tan lines. Dirty ankles.

I was thinking about something I was told a couple of months ago and a conversation I had with my brother last week. (He's a triathlete). I told him I'm a runner, not a racer. I like races, I like training for them, running them, having a plan and a date to work for. I was also thinking about the comment made to me "you win".

I don't look at my life in the context of winning or losing. When I run in a race, only I can determine if it was successful or not. My second marathon I was an hour behind the time I wanted to finish in. But only I know how I felt during that race. Only I know about the 5 miles of sand that made my feet feel like they were shredded by walking on broken glass. Only I know how hard it was on my body to adjust from 50 degree running conditions the weekend before to 85 that day. Only I know about the half mile spell at mile 24 uphill into the wind. I wouldn't say I won, I would say I was successful. And that's how I feel about my lifes battles lately. I didn't win. I didn't even get what I wanted. But I would say I was successful. I would say there were no winners, only losers (some bigger losers than others). I know I had the holy hallelujah beaten out of me.

Just like my race training and my weight training, though, I was in shape enough to take a beating, a hard workout, give it 100% and get up the next day ready to fight again. Ready to power through whatever tough workout came my way. Mile 24 uphill against the wind 35 degrees hotter? 5 days later running in snow? Bring it on. 270 pounds on the leg press for 18 reps? I'm all over it. Three days later with jump squats on the BOSU? I got that too. Just as exercising my body for physical strength and endurance makes me stronger, exercising my faith makes it stronger.

Our sermon this morning was on having a bold faith. Mike read Hebrews 11:6 says "without faith it is impossible to please God". He asked what we we were believing God for right now. Was it bold? Or was it insulting to God. I'll go back to my song because this verse kind of goes with how I feel about this.

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah


Back to training, I may run a 5K or 10K next Saturday while Steve runs his half marathon. I'll make sure and take pictures if I do.

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate to this post. I bet you were the SEXIEST chick there! And I'm a runner, not a racer too. I think we should make shirts. Put "Running Sucks" on the front and "I'm a RUNNER, not a RACER" on the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to look into that. I know a website you can get them made however you want.

    ReplyDelete