Friday, February 17, 2012

Looking forward

I was looking at my calendar today and it’s going to be a busy fun filled year. I thought about last night as I counseled one of my kids about “crap jobs” and “doing something they love”. I understand crap jobs and wanting to do something you love. But sometimes the things you love you can’t make a living at. I can’t make enough any money running, writing or reading (my 3 R’s), the things I love to do. But I have a job where I can make enough money so that I can have and do the things I love. My advice was you don’t have to have it all figured out and if a job pays you it’s not a crap job. Do the things you love, work the job you have. And never feel stuck. Change can be good.

Here are some of the things I’m looking forward to, and if we don't get to all of them, will have a good time with what we do get to.

We have tickets to the OKC Thunder/Boston Celtics basketball game Wednesday this week.

KC for Whitney’s Silver Heart volleyball tournament next weekend. (We drive through Lawrence, I get to see Nate).

March 16 – 20 is our Spring Break trip to Dallas with Whitney and Denae. Whitney hates spring break after the last two years, so I’m redeeming spring break and making it fun again. Includes but not limited to Mavericks/Spurs game, Six Flags and the Galleria Mall.

April is the Rockin K Marathon/50 Miler

April is also the Free State Trail Marathon/100K (in Lawrence, I get to see Nate)

May is Westminster, CO for my nephew’s wedding (and some trail running for Steve in the mountains and some sight seeing and the Rockies are in town that weekend) Nate’s going with us. Yay

June is the Black Hills 100 mile race in South Dakota and Steve is pacing a friend who is running this. It’s not his first 100 mile attempt, but it will be his first completion.

July is KC for Coleen’s Sweat Fat Ass 50K (I’m thinking of trying all 50 K’s, but don’t hold me to that). We drive through Lawrence…

August Steve is wait listed for the Cascade Crest 100 in Seattle, but has a decent shot of getting in, so he’s training for it, just in case. If he doesn’t get in then he’s just ready for the next two.

September is the Hawk Marathon/50 Mile/100 Mile race. Again in Lawrence…

October is the Heartland 100

November is a long weekend in KC for a marathon and an early birthday celebration for me. I want a big to do with Steve and Whitney this year. Yep, through Lawrence again.

I realize out of my 11 highlights 7 are races. And 6 are times I get to see Nate (I will see him more than that). All things I love.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you map out your year. I do the same thing. It helps me to stay positive and focus on the wonderful things in my life and get through the "not so wonderful" things.

    ReplyDelete