Saturday, February 4, 2012

You are beautiful

Today's long run was cold...and windy...and long...

I got up this morning thinking I didn't want to run. It was 25 degrees. 20+ mph north winds plus gusts. I had put my tights and running shirt on when I got up so I was dressed and ready, but still wasn't pushing myself out the door. As I was talking myself out of it, I noticed Steve had set the garmin for me and put it with my running jacket. (I am technologically challenged where the garmin is concerned). Because of that kind act, off I went.

Straight into the north wind. I ran north when some mile in and outs east and west on residential streets to get out of the wind. Happened to run into Sheila and she ran 4 miles with me. WHAT AN UNEXPECTED BLESSING!!! 16 total miles, made decent time.

In running a lot of people have mantras. Things they say to themself to motivate or encourage themselves. I was thinking about that today. I have a couple of things I say regularly. When I do speed work on the treadmill and it starts to get hard I repeat to myself "stay". Meaning stay on the treadmill. And when it gets particularly hard I'm likely to repeat over and over "I'm gonna die".

But today I found myself singing while I was running. Not unusual, but this song I have never sung before. And it just kept repeating in my head.

Everyday is so wonderful
Then suddenly
It's hard to breathe
Now and then I get insecure
From all the pain
I'm so ashamed

I am beautiful
No matter what they say
Words can't bring me down
I am beautiful
In every single way
Yes words can't bring me down
Oh no
So don't you bring me down today


I thought about the scripture that says "we are his masterpiece". A masterpiece is a beautiful work of art. God calls me beautiful. But more than this, I thought about "words can't bring me down". Usually they can. But what if I decide to LIVE like I believe I'm God's work of art instead of living believing:

You aren't good enough
You don't matter
You don't fit in
You aren't fun

You get the idea. So here I am on about my 12th repetition of believing this, and I will do 13 and 14 and 15 and so on until I get it. And in the spirit of "I am beautiful, here I am pre-run
Post run
And before dinner

Can I tell you a secret? You are his masterpiece too.

1 comment: