Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mis-use of virtual communication

Did you see it? The video of the dad reading the letter his daughter posted on facebook and then listing his response to her letter, her punishment and shooting her laptop? And all the people cheering him on and saying "sound like my dad" or something like that.

NOT MY DAD! He dealt with us at home, in private. (Usually with a belt).

Teenagers do things that normal people wouldn't do. Yes, you read that right. They live in a teenage world that is different than any thing else. And as parents, we should not ever deal with them on their level. We should be parents. I understand he was upset with her, I would've been too. But, I don't think you address your child's misbehavior and dole out punishment on facebook. Be a grown up. Take a way the computer and the cell phone. Totally on board with that. But the public humiliation of your kid? Why?

There was also the video "Why I love Jesus but hate religion." It was full of so much crap. But it said some good things so people just jumped on board, not realizing that he was Scripturally inaccurate and while culturally relevant, he misrepresented the person of Jesus Christ.

Using your blog to write to the married man you've been having an affair with and address letters on it to his wife telling her your opinion of her and her marriage? No purpose in that, very immature.

Using twitter to lash out at people who have hurt you, knowing that all your followers and all their followers and all the retweets will just add additional drama and pain? Pretty low.

Having said that, I love the virtual world.

I can look at one day worth of email on either my personal account or my work account and have something that made my day brighter.

Facebook, and I can see pictures of family and friends long distance away. I can see pictures of their children, their races and results as they happen. It's amazing how many good friends I am back in contact with and thrilled to have in my life.

Texting is another virtual communication tool that I can't imagine returning to life without it. I remember life before texting, before cell phones. I'm so glad I have them.

I'm just wondering if we are being responsible with our communication. We type things we would never say. We share things with 300+ of our closest friends that we wouldn't think about telling them face to face.

Psalm 34:13 says "keep your tongue from evil". I realize these are not spoken words, but they are in a sense, the same thing. Our words. We should keep them from evil.

A couple other Scriptures, just for chewing on

He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin. Proverbs 13:3

The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil. Proverbs 15:28

Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3

No comments:

Post a Comment