Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Does it matter

I opened my Bible today and it opened to a devotional. The first line was "what matters to you, matters to God". I got pretty emotional with just this one sentence.

There is so much in this world that needs God's attention. Homeless people. Starving orphans. Cancer patients. Unemployed. And let's not forget we are facing an election.

I really do know. I know God cares about me. All the little things. I'm not a bother with my prayers. My hurts, even though they are not about hunger or joblessness or health conditions matter to God.

This doesn't address the idea of "do I matter to God". That is supposedly understood, right? I miss that sometimes too. I feel lost and alone. I feel like I'm just existing. That even when I try, I'm not getting it right.

I believe that everybody was brought into this world because God wants us here. There is a purpose for us. I'm more and more sure everyday that my only purpose is to love Jesus. Everything else will work itself out from that. And decisions I make for my life are made through this lens. Not a "what would Jesus do", but what would Jesus want me to do? If I do this in love, how does that look.

There are days I want to be selfish. There are days where I am. But it doesn't make me happy. It makes me feel worse.

It really spoke to my bruised heart to know that what matters to me, matters to God. My husband, my kids, my parents. Whitney's volleyball, training for a marathon, grocery shopping.

I John 3:1 says "the Father has loved us so much that we are called children of God. And we really are his children."

Right here in my little corner of Wichita, Kansas, I matter to God. What matters to me, matters to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment