Thursday, February 16, 2012

Blessing

Matthew 11:28 Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Last Saturday night Mark talked about "The Valley of Blessing". To summarize, my words, you are in a valley, you get to the end, and you get the win, but it's not the win with the medal around your neck holding up #1 fingers. It's the pitiful one you see of the marathon runner who falls down 100 feet from the finish line and gets up and stumbles only to fall down again a few feet later and eventually, crosses the finish line crawling. But it's still a win.

Then to drive the point even deeper, Melinda sang a song I've never heard before, and all I can remember is the words I've asked you to take away the pain. I'm not quite that eloquent, as I'm on my knees (or face) before God begging him to make it stop hurting.

I sat there in church between Steve and Whitney with our dear friends Jake and Carrie on the other side of Steve and knew that I've been blessed. I came out of the valley with a "W". I came out with my family intact, with friends that stuck with us and prayed and were too awesome for words. I sat there with tears running down my face and Steve's hand on me, worrying about me. (Whitney, however, was oblivious, which I love about her).

I had the thought this week that if God recently orchestrated a quick departure from the church we were attending so that I would be in this service at this church for this message, it was well worth it. I believe God does things like that. Couldn't say for sure he did but that message touched me deeply.

I beg God to take the pain, but he doesn't. He continues to say "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

I ask him to make it stop hurting and he says "Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

I say I don't want to cry anymore but "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book. Psalm 56:8"

Because...
1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3 He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
forever. Psalm 23

1 comment: