Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What are you giving up for Lent?

As a Christian girl with deep roots in the Baptist faith, I have never participated in the sacrificial religious experience of Lent. But every year I participate in the question "what are you giving up for lent"? Because as a Christian, people tend to think that I will. We had the discussion at work yesterday, as it was Fat Tuesday. Today being Ash Wednesday and all, you have to know what you are giving up.

Whitney was watching a really bizarre show last night "My Strange Addiction". Have you seen it? This episode featured a guy in an intimate relationship with his car (named "Chase" hahahahaha) and a woman who snorts baby powder. Up her nose like cocaine. Next episode was a woman who eats cat food and something about moth balls. I had chores, I didn't watch. But these people need to be giving some stuff up.

I realized this morning taking Whitney to school that I need to give up my mild road rage. Not just for lent, but for all time.

There are a couple of other things in my life I need to give up for good. I'm not talking diet coke or facebook. Not even for Lent.

But I'm not going to share details because they are both deeply personal and this is a pretty public forum. When it used to be just me and 12 people who loved me I probably would have shared.

More than likely some of you would laugh at me, (which I'm okay with) and many of you wouldn't find these destructive behaviors. But they are FOR ME. I know they are. One of them causes me emotional pain. And yet I continue to wallow in it like life doesn't have enough pain on its own.

I figure today is as good a day as any other to start.

I'm letting go of something that's harmful to me, that doesn't bring me anything positive or good in life, and yet...

I'm struggling with giving it up. The part of me that enjoys the physical pain inflicted on myself running 20 miles must carry over into my emotional world too.

So here's to change. Not just for 40 days, but for life.

And I can do it, because

"I can do all things through Christ because he gives me strength". Philippians 4:13

"God will strengthen you with his own great power so that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient". Colossians 1:11

2 comments:

  1. note - it's only been an hour and a half since I posted this and I have failed. WOW! Gonna be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter if you fail from time to time, it matters that you don't give up trying.

    ReplyDelete