Friday, July 8, 2011

Conversations with Whitney

I love 15 year old girls. Have I said that before? I really do. These two made my day yesterday. We went to the Sedgwick County Fair in Cheney, Kansas. We sat at the parade. The walkers threw candy. Madeline would see how far she could stretch and reach candy while still leaving her feet on the blanket. It was kind of disturbing (hilarious) to watch a 15 year old crawl on pavement for candy. She also would yell whenever they didn't throw candy right at her and Whitney "it's because I'm black, isn't it?"
And Whitney would watch the cheerleaders go by doing their chants and try to do the arm motions with them. They were looking at her like she's the world's biggest dork (she is) but never realized that she was laughing at them while they were looking down their pretty little noses at the "ratchety" girl who couldn't cheer.
Then when we leave the parade to go to the fair Whitney asks for my phone. I give it to her and ask why. Because her's is dead, and she can't go 3 hours without a phone. Steve asks about Maddi's, but it's about to die too.
The guy at the ticket booth asks Maddi if she's going to be on America's Next Top Model (it's because she's black, lol) and then they are off to ride rides. Steve and I go in search of food, I had the best sandwich I've had since the Ozark Trail 100 last November. Philly Cheesesteak was awesome. Evening went without any problems, finally heard from Whitney when I got a call, "mom, where are you? We're hungry". One Turkey leg and one brisket sandwich and $16.00 later we head to Braum's for three milkshakes and a diet coke (for yours truly cause I'm neither 15 nor male nor genetically blessed), and head home.
I wanted a picture of them, but they both ducked because they didn't have time to get ready and they looked "ratchet". I know, I don't speak 15 year old either.

(I have nicknamed them Thing I and Thing II now.)

2 comments:

  1. Ratchet, huh? That's a new one....and now I officially feel REAL old. Thanks girls...and for the record, I'm 34!

    PS - loved Whitney's planking pic on FB. Rather funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Near as I can translate, ratchet is raggedy. And that is one of many planking pictures. Steve had to tell her not to plank on the fridge the other night. I may share the one planking on the tractor.

    ReplyDelete