Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Boat

I went to church this morning. Which is not a news flash. I go to church. I like church, it's what I do. This morning we started a sermon series "The Gospel According to Seinfeld". I'm a Seinfeld fan, have seen every episode several times. This morning though, when the sermon title hit the big screen it instantly brought tears to my eyes.

I've been very honest about God giving me what I need. He has left me in dry time for the last couple weeks, and I know he did it to show me that I have to believe he's there, even when it doesn't quite feel like he's as close as he's been. Twice this week this has happened. Last weekend was rough on me. My still bruised and somewhat battered self esteem took a major hit. It was not intentional, but that didn't make it any less painful. It hurts a little just to mention it. But wouldn't you know, that the area I took the hit in God provided some people in my life to make me feel better. I had three different individuals compliment me in this area this week. Very real, very complimentary, and guys that I believed and so needed. They will never know what a blessing they were to me. I know they were being the mouth piece of God, even though they don't, so thank you Jesse, Jake and Alan.

And then to this morning's sermon. The title was "Get Off the Boat". Inserting links never works right for me, but I posted several months ago and it's late March time frame titled "Get out of the boat." And then titled follow up.

I'm not going through the stories again, but there was one point Mike brought out this morning that I had never thought about in all my years hearing this story. After Peter got out of the boat, walked on the water, sunk, and reached out to Jesus, Jesus walked back to the boat with him. Peter walked with Jesus across the water. Jesus saved him, and then walked with him.

There was one other thing Mike said that I wanted to share. When Peter said if it's you Jesus, let me walk to you. And Jesus said come on. When you pray big prayers and want to do bold things for Jesus. Hard things for Jesus. He doesn't say I don't think its a good idea. This isn't going to end well. You stay there in the boat and let me come to you. He says COME!!!

I was reminded today that Jesus is walking with me. And I realized that Jesus is walking with us in the storm like he did with Peter, or through the fire like he did with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, in the lions den like he was with Daniel, and walking with us across dry land after he parts the sea where there is no way across and an army of enemies behind us. He is close in the hard times. Visible in the hard times. That is so comforting to me.

1 comment:

  1. Dry time...sometimes God puts us there, sometimes we put ourselves there. Thankfully, no matter at whose hand we land in the desert, the faithfulness of God assures us that He will always be with us.

    It took the Lord's Supper, a bent knee, a repentant heart and some tears to blow away the dry and wash me with the Living Water. What a help it has been!

    ReplyDelete