Sunday, April 10, 2011

1000 Gifts

There is a book by Ann Voskamp, 1000 Gifts, A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. I'm not very far into it. But I can't wait to read it in full. I haven't read anything other than my Bible for a while now. But this book, I want to read it now. I want to live fully in the here and now. Like I said a few posts again. Content in my present. My Bible keeps telling me to pray and THANK GOD. To trust and GIVE THANKS. To pray believing and THANK GOD. So as I pursue letting God live through me, I want to start listing my gifts. Because I am guilty of looking for the big gift and overlooking the little ones. So yesterday when I was sitting on my couch with two of my favorite things and had just had a beautiful 3 mile run on my trail (the one behind my house, I don't own it, but it's mine) I realized that I have way too many "gifts" and I'm going to follow the author's lead and start sharing my gifts. My first three are solitary trail runs (I'm never alone back there, I take Jesus), blueberry tea and major league baseball.

I also consider you guys my gifts. I looked the other day to see how many people are reading, because no one comments very often, and that's okay, I do the same thing. I'm a lurker. Reading and not posting comments. I intend to change that. I love some of my bloghers and I'm going to let you all know I'm watching you and loving you virtually. I tell my daughters friends I was creeper back when it was still called stalking. And I am thankful for everyone of you that stops by here, whether just once, or daily. Because I am rediscovering how much I like people. I've always liked people, I'm pretty social, but last weekend I reconnected with an old friend. And we had the best evening. And went to dinner with two girlfriends this week that I know, but not as well as I would like to and we had a great time. And then I sat with my brother-in-law at a funeral and had one of the best conversations I've ever had with him.

We'll see how long it takes me to get to 1000. (And then keep going). I am so blessed. And I live such a grace filled life. My Savior has carried me through so many rough times, and I have challenged myself to never forget what he has done for me. My Bible pages are now dog eared. Scribbled in. Every friend who has sent me a scripture reference now has their name and the date they sent it to me written next to it. Because those were gifts that God used you to give to me.

One of the best decisions I ever made was to go after girlfriends. I can't find the post where I told you all I was doing it, but I need to find it again. I remember warning you all. And you all have stepped into my life with that "challenge" and I am a better person for it. So if you are new to my blog, thank you so much for coming. Comments, while moderated, are always welcome. If you've been with me from the beginning, thanks for sticking around. I love you all. And if I determine you are "girlfriend material" I will come after you. I need as many in my corner as I can get.

Included in my 1000 Gifts will be girlfriends, and I just want to say publicly thank you again to you. Jenn, Jules, Cate, Jenny, Ginny, Melanie, Sheila, Rebecca, Carrie, Meredith, Becky, Kathy, Mindy, and Andrea, I am so blessed by you.

2 comments:

  1. I started reading that same book! We should compare notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who at one time took her friends for granted and willingly walked away to choose a fleshly desire, I know all too well the importance of women who will encourage, love, support, edify and lovingly correct when needed. And I know have the best group of them in my life because they welcomed me back with open arms once I saw the mistake I had made. I'm so glad that you have the same loving support! No one understands us crazy creatures better than each other! :)

    ReplyDelete