Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Psalms 69

I don’t usually just pick my Bible up and let it fall open and read where I land. I generally have an idea where I’m going. Last night I went to Psalms. I love to read the Psalms. I had this one dog eared, which means it’s one of my favorites (however, I have almost as many pages dog eared now as not.) I read it a couple times. This is a long passage, but I’m going to share the whole thing below. Verse 30 tells me what David did (and since he wrote this Psalm for me I thought I should too). This morning I get in the car thinking “I will praise God in a song”. And Christian radio sucks. So I hit the CD player and there are two CD’s. Joel Engle and WOW! Worship 2011. I only know one song off WOW! Worship, so I choose it. It doesn’t really seem like the right song for the situation, not one I would have selected from my IPOD, but it’s the only one I know and I feel to praise God in song, I need to sing. Chris Tomlin’s I Will Rise

There’s a peace I’ve come to know, though my heart and flesh may fail, there’s an anchor for my soul, I can sing It is well,
Jesus has overcome and the grave is overwhelmed, Victory is won, he is risen from the dead
And I will rise when he calls my name, no more sorrow no more pain
I will rise on Eagles wings before my God fall on my knees and rise, I will rise


I won’t share why the words of this were so perfect for the dark twisted place I was yesterday. But once again, God provided exactly what I needed. Then I took time to “honor him by giving thanks” and I realized how much I have to be thankful for.

Psalms 69
1 God, save me, because the water has risen to my neck. 2 I'm sinking down into the mud, and there is nothing to stand on. I am in deep water, and the flood covers me. 3 I am tired from calling for help; my throat is sore. My eyes are tired from waiting for God to help me. 4 There are more people who hate me for no reason than hairs on my head; powerful enemies want to destroy me for no reason. They make me pay back what I did not steal. 5 God, you know what I have done wrong; I cannot hide my guilt from you. 6 Lord God All-Powerful, do not let those who hope in you be ashamed because of me. God of Israel, do not let your worshipers be disgraced because of me. 7 For you, I carry this shame, and my face is covered with disgrace. 8 I am like a stranger to my closest relatives and a foreigner to my mother's children. 9 My strong love for your Temple completely controls me. When people insult you, it hurts me. 10 When I cry and go without food, they make fun of me. 11 When I wear clothes of sadness, they joke about me. 12 They make fun of me in public places, and the drunkards make up songs about me. 13 But I pray to you, Lord, for favor. God, because of your great love, answer me. You are truly able to save. 14 Pull me from the mud, and do not let me sink. Save me from those who hate me and from the deep water. 15 Do not let the flood drown me or the deep water swallow me or the grave close its mouth over me. 16 Lord, answer me because your love is so good. Because of your great kindness, turn to me. 17 Do not hide from me, your servant. I am in trouble. Hurry to help me! 18 Come near and save me; rescue me from my enemies. 19 You see my shame and disgrace. You know all my enemies and what they have said. 20 Insults have broken my heart and left me weak. I looked for sympathy, but there was none; I found no one to comfort me. 21 They put poison in my food and gave me vinegar to drink. 22 Let their own feasts cause their ruin; let their feasts trap them and pay them back. 23 Let their eyes be closed so they cannot see and their backs be forever weak from troubles. 24 Pour your anger out on them; let your anger catch up with them. 25 May their place be empty; leave no one to live in their tents. 26 They chase after those you have hurt, and they talk about the pain of those you have wounded. 27 Charge them with crime after crime, and do not let them have anything good. 28 Wipe their names from the book of life, and do not list them with those who do what is right. 29 I am sad and hurting. God, save me and protect me. 30 I will praise God in a song and will honor him by giving thanks. 31 That will please the Lord more than offering him cattle, more than sacrificing a bull with horns and hoofs. 32 Poor people will see this and be glad. Be encouraged, you who worship God. 33 The Lord listens to those in need and does not look down on captives. 34 Heaven and earth should praise him, the seas and everything in them. 35 God will save Jerusalem and rebuild the cities of Judah. Then people will live there and own the land. 36 The descendants of his servants will inherit that land, and those who love him will live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment