Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tales from the Herd Training Update

This is Sheila (and her beautiful daughter, Emily, one of Whitney's herd).

I was ten when I met Sheila. We have been friends ever since. She is a gift from God to everyone who knows her, and she is doing a guest post today.

“I Run to Him”
My best friend, Patsy, sent this to me when we first started our marathon training. I have it posted on my desk at work and I read it often.
“I love not just the finish line, but the trip along the way – it makes me feel free – I’ve got energy to burn – I need energy – it’s my anti-depressant – I hope my children will – I need an excuse to eat – stopping would hurt so much more than a blister or a broken toenail – walking takes too long and I have things I need to get done – my personal best is that: mine – other’s can’t – it’s a good kind of sore – it makes the pavement feel needed – there are a lot worse addictions out there – there’s no better way to explore or enjoy the spring flowers and fall leaves – I “just felt like runnin” – there’s no drug like adrenaline – I’ll never know how far I can go unless I try – the pavement doesn’t complain when you pound it – it takes all I’ve got, but gives back more – I CAN.”
I ran my first marathon on October 10, 2010. Any runner will tell you it is tough mentally and physically. I don’t remember miles 20-24, because I hurt so bad, but the last 2 miles of the race were the absolute best. When I reached that 24 mile mark, I could hear the crowd at the finish line and I felt like I just started running……no aches or pains, but just the excitement to get to the finish line. The last stretch of the race my family and best friend were waiting for me and it was the greatest moment ever. I DID IT!
This was tough for me because I battled a health issue for months that limited me on training. I felt like I was in the bottom of the pit just like King David wrote about in the Psalms. God used this time to put things in perspective. At moments I hated the pain, but I endured it, and praise God I am well today. He graciously showed me that I am not in control, my life is not my own, and every aspect of my life has to be totally dependent on him - spiritually and physically. Not a day goes by that I don’t thank my Savior for healing, for the ability, strength, and endurance, not only to face life’s toughest challenges, but to run too. Now, I run to Him and for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment