Friday, April 22, 2011

God continues to amaze me

God has been so present in my life. If you've been reading, I've shared that. And my human mind thinks that he must be done showing me how much he loves me. How many times, over and over, will he do something that makes me aware of how much HE LOVES ME? How many special things that only I get, but I do know are directed at my heart, my hurting heart, to say you are special, you are loved, you are beautiful and you are worth so much more to me in Heaven than on earth? I get more. Continuously. More, so much more. I'm going to share a few. These are not huge earth shaking WOW!!! You gotta hear this moments. These are those soft whispers you get from God that if you aren't being quiet you miss.
This comment in an email from a friend, I took out some stuff that is not necessary to the post, but it is almost exactly how I feel, even though we are at two different places in two extremely different lives, but the feeling is the same, and knowing that God is working in a friends life with the same feelings makes it easier to be strong.
"My life has sifted in every area ... every safety net gone, and never realized how much I was depending on those things instead of God's provision. I was in a "comfortable" state ... comfortable "sacrifice." ... I can truly say I've never been more fulfilled in the purpose God made me for... finally settling in to be who He made me to be and only trying to please HIM. It's a foreign feeling at times, but a very good feeling. Some days I feel like I'm growing, some days I feel like I'm melting down, but it's my life!"
He is still giving me encouragement and direction specifically from his word. On the airplane to Boston I was in a baaaaad mood. So I went to the least feel good book of the Bible I could think of, Ecclesiastes "there is nothing good under the sun". And danged if God didn't even find a way to give me hope through that book too.
He is still making sure I get it. I'm stubborn, thick headed and a bit of a control freak. (Well, not so much anymore). I read a passage last night. It was good. It spoke to me. I stopped and hugged my Bible while tears rolled down my face. I do that a lot anymore, because it's a letter from someone who loves me. Today I go to one of my friends blogs and one post back she has shared this Scripture passage. God is making sure I get it.
He is correcting and challenging me. I had a day where I was thinking I needed to tell some people off. Point out there sin even. And God quickly told me that he doesn't need me to do that, he has given that task to the Holy Spirit, and I should let him do it. So, I shut up before I spoke. I would've made things worse. I know that.
Communion at church in Boston. We were running around Sunday morning, Steve and I just going out the two of us. We didn't do that much in Boston, the three or four times were fun. Sunday we are on the subway and Steve sees a sign for a church that looked interesting. I look it up on my droid, we get on the right subway and get there after the service has started. Steve was disappointed we missed the worship, but wouldn't you know, they did their worship after the sermon. We missed one song and announcements. They offered communion. I haven't participated in communion service in a while, so I was moved at the opportunity. (The communal wine goblet made me a little nervous till I realized you dunked your very large cracker in the goblet. It was also my first real wine, non grape juice communion.) Something about sharing that ordinance with other believers I didn't even know existed till that morning made it even more powerful. But remembering Jesus sacrifice, and God's gift was amazing. On Palm Sunday, even more so. And in light of how loving he's been to me words fail me.
I love the quiet whispers. The soothing to my soul that he is providing.
So on Good Friday, as I remember his gift to me, I am overwhelmed with all he has done for me. Because I'm not much of a prize, and yet he values me. He is perfect and holy and yet he loves me.

1 comment: