Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tales from the Herd

This is my girlfriend Jenny Cummins. She lives South of Boston. I got to visit her when we were in Boston with my other girlfriend Carrie (you’ll meet her soon too). I love her to death. I would always hear how sweet and kind and compassionate she is. And she is. What a lot of people missed due to the fact they didn’t get to know her well is her wicked sense of humor. I miss her more than words can say. This is her “Broken Hallelujah” poem, even though that’s not the name of it. And coming on the heels of Easter, perfect timing.


Enough by Jenny Cummins

Father God looked from Heaven
Upon a sight too cruel for words.
Indescribable anguish, injustice,
His Son nailed to a cross,
Bloody and beaten, barely breathing,
Bearing the sin of the ages.
"It's enough, I've seen enough!" He bellowed
And turned the sky to darkness.

It was the plan from the Beginning,
The redemption of mankind.
Perfect blood flowed down the broken body,
Onto the jagged wood,
Completing a perfect sacrifice.
Sin was forever paid for.
It was enough.

For three long days the earth waited in silence.
And then the miraculous.
"He is risen!" pounded and resounded through the air.
The angels offered the holiest of praise,
and all creation echoed the Hallelujah.

And I asked what I could give.
"I have nothing," I whispered.
"Nothing worthy of such sacrifice...only words
and thoughts and pieces...
Words from a heart overwhelmed.
A broken Hallelujah.
"It is enough," He said.
And He smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment