Wednesday, August 24, 2011

El Roi - The God Who Sees

Why did I believe her?

Why did I think that she would do what she said she would?

Why did I think she would do anything that was good for me, even though it didn't matter to her? Would cost her little more then ten minutes? Wouldn't hurt her and would mean the world to me?

Why do I believe the good in people even when I've never seen any?

How am I here, in this place where I feel I can't get ahead, my life is in turmoil, and hers looks so good? She has cost me so much and I'm so battered and she isn't.

Why do I keep trying to do the right thing, even though my heart and mind don't want to and it doesn't seem to make a difference?

How do I continue to care when I know it doesn't mean anything to anyone?

WHAT ABOUT ME?? Doesn't anyone see me? Doesn't anyone care? Does anyone know how hard I try? How bad I hurt? How much I ache?

Even as early as the book of Genesis, women felt this way, her name was Hagar. (Read her story in Genesis chapters 16-21). She gave God the name El Roi, the God who sees.

Genesis 16:13 [Hagar] gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her: You are the God who sees me.

He sees me.

I Peter 5:7 …casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Not only does He see me, He cares for me.

John 3:16 for God so loved the world...

Not only does He see me and care for me, He loves me.

And you too. Whatever your struggle today, He sees you. He cares for you. He loves you.


Hagar in the desert Painting by Pompeo Girolamo Batoni

No comments:

Post a Comment