Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My favorite Bible character

Another lesson from Peter...

Luke 22:31-32 Jesus said, "Simon, listen to me! Satan has demanded the right to test each one of you, as a farmer does when he separates wheat from the husks. But Simon, I have prayed that your faith will be strong. And when you have come back to me, help the others."

This is not a new Scripture. Not a new story. Actually takes place between the last supper and the crucifixion. What really stuck out to me this time was the phrase "and when you have come back to me".

I wonder if Jesus walked this earth with me, actually had conversations with me, how many times he would have said this? Because I've had to come back more times than I like to admit. And I don't like the phrase "help the others". I don't want to share my failures. My weaknesses. I don't want to help anyone. I want to pretend my life is good. That I have it all together. And it's okay to giggle, I know I'm not fooling anyone.

So I freely admit to those closest to me when I'm having a bad day. I ask for prayer when I need it, even though I know these girlfriends are beating at Heaven for me constantly. I call. I ask if I can come over. I email and text.

But I'm selective who I ask for help from. Because I don't want to ask people who will tell me what I want to hear. I also don't ask people who just want to hear themselves preach. No soapboxes. I want people who are trying to live like Jesus. And this is the kind of help I want to be.

One thought I had last week has really stayed in my mind. Just like I was told I'm not the Holy Spirit and it's not my job to convict people of their sin (point out how awful they've been) I was also pricked with the idea that I'm not God and I don't get to pass down judgment or extract vengeance or pay back someone for hurting me. Cause I've thought about it. And I realized that I'm not to do the work of the Holy Spirit or God, but I am commanded to love like Jesus.

As I read the gospels (over and over) seeing how Jesus loved people is a challenge to me. He loved them where they were. The sinners. Still in their sin. The sick. Before he healed them. The unlovable, before he cast out the demons.

Peter, even though he knew he was going to fail the test. Even though he knew Peter would deny him. He loved him and said, "when you return to me".

I'm so glad that I'm loved by Jesus who says "when you return to me".

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! I commend you for desiring authentic accountability. Sometimes the chastening is difficult, but it's usually exactly what we need, right when we need it. What compromises it is our unwillingness to accept the truth. Been there, done that. Had to learn that lesson the hard way, but now I'm more prone to listen before flapping my gums to defend my stupidity.

    ReplyDelete